Senior Lecturer Dipl.-Ing. Dr.
Florian Ledermann is senior lecturer and researcher at the Research Group Cartography. He received his Dipl.-Ing. degree in 2004 and his Dr.techn. (≙PhD) degree in 2022, both at TU Wien. Florian has previous research experience in the fields of augmented reality and information visualization. As a freelance web developer, Florian implemented award-winning web applications before joining the Research Group Cartography in 2014.
Florian publishes updates on his research on Mastodon.
Interactive cartography, web cartography, cartographic symbology, geovisualization, cartographic generalisation, information visualization, usability & user experience.
- Henry Johns Award, 2022 (British Cartographic Society, most outstanding paper of the year in the “Cartographic Journal”) for paper “The Effect of Display Pixel Density on the Minimum Legible Size of Fundamental Cartographic Symbols”
- Best Paper Award, GI_Forum, 2018 (category “Best student paper”) for paper “Analysing Digital Maps Online: A Reverse Engineering Approach”
- Best Teaching Award, TU Wien, 2017 (category “Best lecture of the faculty”) for Lecture+Lab “Web Mapping”
- 1st prize, International Cartographic Exhibition 2017 (category “Educational Products”) for project “genderATlas”
- Best of Google Maps 2008 for project “Senghor on the Rocks”
- AT Award 1999 (category “Online Games”) for map-based online game “Netcaptn”
Projects and Software at the Research Group Cartography
- stimsrv — A system for distributed user studies and behavioral experiments
- genderatlas.at — Online atlas on gender equality for Austria